What will happen when we, as a species, conquer Death and Time?
In the future (within the next five hundred years), I think we will have mostly solved the problem of dying and maybe the problem of time travel (as most of us think of it).
Can you wrap your mind around a future like that? I have tried to write fiction many times but I am never happy with the result. Nonetheless, I have ideas I think would make interesting concepts. Perhaps a better fiction writer will read this and take a stab at creating a story around some of these ideas (just let me know if you do and give me partial credit, would you?).
Imagine what day-to-day life might look like in five hundred years:
- To be a successful politician, you will not run for office. Instead, you will travel back in time and become a significant historical figure. Then, when you return to the future (present), you will be judged on your results and accomplishments from, say, five hundred years ago.
- Wars will not be fought by armies. Instead, they will be fought by militant forces that travel back in time to stop insurrections or corrupt dictators before they come to power. They will not go back in time to kill someone before they are born. Rather, they will become a significant mentor in the person’s life and lead them a different direction.
- Technology will be created to protect certain moments in our time line to keep from destroying reality altogether. For example, there will have to be a way to ensure time travel remains discovered, along with a way to preserve certain moments of the past, like the invention of space travel, to ensure human survival.
- Time travel will be a great tourist market. Want to visit your Grandfather’s grandmother’s grandfather? No problem. Want to see a real dinosaur? We got you covered. Just sign this insurance form…
- History’s greatest leaders and musicians will be available to keep the world on track. Aristotle will attend a Jimi Hendrix concert. Ayn Rand and Stephen Hawking will meet and fall in love. Albert Einstein and George Washington will lead a peace accord with Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr and Gandhi.
- Because we can live for thousands, maybe millions, of years, and because Time will no longer be relative, and because we will be capable of navigating the universe, many of us will opt out for a while. Some people will grow tired of living and they will choose to sleep for a few thousand years sometimes, to wake up and experience a new reality.
- Time management software will take on a whole new meaning.
I don’t know how crazy the future will be but I know the possibilities are limitless. What would your future self, living in a universe without boundaries on success, learning, creativity, or possibility come back and tell your present self? Today’s lesson is simple: you are the potential of limitless potential! Live up to your potential now, before it’s too late… you know, in case it ever is too late.